Illawarra Visitor Information
Welcome to Illawarra
Illawarra is a beautiful coastal region in New South Wales, Australia. Located about an hour south of Sydney, it's the perfect spot for a weekend getaway or a longer vacation. The region is known for its stunning beaches, picturesque coastal towns, and breathtaking natural scenery.
What to See and Do
- Spend a day at the beach - Illawarra has some of the best beaches in Australia. Check out Wollongong City Beach, Shellharbour Beach or Kiama Beach.
- Take a drive along the coastline - The Grand Pacific Drive is a scenic drive that winds along the Illawarra coast from Sydney to Kiama. The drive takes you through beautiful coastal towns, past stunning beaches and along breathtaking cliff tops.
- Explore the Royal National Park - The Royal National Park is located just north of Illawarra and is a great spot for hiking, picnicking and wildlife spotting.
- Visit the Nan Tien Temple - The Nan Tien Temple is the largest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere and is located in Wollongong. Take a tour, enjoy a vegetarian meal, or simply enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
Where to Stay
Illawarra has a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets, from basic motels to luxury resorts. Some popular options include:
- The Sebel Harbourside Kiama - a luxury resort located in the heart of Kiama.
- The Belmore All-Suite Hotel - a mid-range hotel located in Wollongong CBD.
- The Shellharbour Resort and Conference Centre - a family-friendly resort located in Shellharbour.
How to Get Here
Illawarra is easily accessible by car or public transport. If you're coming from Sydney, take the M1 south and exit onto the Princes Hwy at Waterfall. Alternatively, catch a train from Sydney to Wollongong or Kiama. Both towns have regular train services from Sydney.
When to Visit
Illawarra can be visited throughout the year, but the best time to visit is during the warmer months (December to February) when the beaches are at their best. If you're planning a visit during this time, make sure to book your accommodation well in advance as it can get busy.
We hope you enjoy your visit to Illawarra!